[TowerTalk] Cut off extra 7 ft of mast or leave it?

David Winarsky david at winarsky.com
Sun Nov 22 21:39:24 EST 2020

I’m putting up my first tower, a LM-354HDSP with a Steppir DB11 and a JK 40 meter horizontal dipole, both in the same mast. I have a 20 ft 2 in OD mast from Tashjian and am wondering whether I should cut off the unused length or leave it?

Karl at Tashjian suggested I install the rotator plate 3 ft below the top of the tower and the DB11 2 ft above the top, with the JK40 8 ft above that (10 ft from the top of the tower). That will leave 7 ft of the mast unused.

Do you folks recommend I leave the extra 7ft of the mast in place or cut it off?

Appreciate the input and any other comments or suggestions on my plan.

73,
David K6ZD