[TowerTalk] Follow up on Coaxial Seal Removal

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Thu Oct 15 08:27:18 EDT 2020

A couple of weeks ago I asked for some ideas on how to remove soft black
water sealant for connectors I commonly know as Coaxiseal.

Several good answers  and thanks to all who replied.

The "Best" results IMO were

1) "Wait till it gets cold and peel it right off" . I was skeptical in
Florida that it would ever get that cold but turns out that even at 68
degrees which It was the morning I climbed the tower last week that the
stuff becomes significantly less "gooey" and I was able to peel 90% of
it off fairly quickly so I can imagine for most of you farther north
that this will work well

2) For the final 10% left from the myriad of suggestions I got that the
stuff will succumb to just about any solvent. For doing the final shiny
cleanup I found mineral spirits works very well as one of the least
toxic of the many suggestions. Also much to my surprise isopropyl
alcohol , while not quite a fast acting
as the mineral spirits did a very good job of cleaning the final residue
of type-N and PL259 connectors

3) For the future,  the suggestion of wrapping the connectors with tape
first before applying the sealing junk was a real duhh moment which I
now use going forward.. I go well down on the coax, fold the tape over
at the end and I have an easy removal "tab" for  the next time.

Tnxs again
Dave
NR1DX
--