[TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:02:42 EDT 2020

Dielectric loading works as well in theory, but is obviously more
difficult in practice.  For grins one day I modeled an 80m vertical (fed
against a couple of radials) with the vertical portion being 3 inch
diameter PVC with a wire running down the center of it.  By pumping DI
water (relative dielectric constant about 3.0 if I remember correctly)
in from the base of the tube I could shift the resonant point over 100
KHz, thereby making it somewhat tunable.  I shudder to think what it
would take mechanically to support it, of course, unless I strapped it
to the side of my tower with all the attendant coupling effects of doing so.

I think people have tried similar things using salt water, except
without the wire.  I think I even tried modeling that once but found the
conductive loss was too high ... don't remember for sure.

73,
Dave   AB7E