[TowerTalk] Cover antennas - the good news and the bad news

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 01:17:38 EDT 2020

I would think that testing antennas today should be easier than it was
when the K7LXC/N0AX report was done, and I don't see why an antenna
range is even needed anymore.  A wideband noise source mounted on a
drone with an appropriately polarized short antenna could fly around the
antenna while a receiver on the ground connected to the antenna took
measurements.  Drones are very stable these days even in stiff winds,
and while I don't think GPS positioning would necessarily be accurate
enough to define near field location, various ways of doing so from the
ground (optical triangulation, tethers, etc) should be sufficient.  Far
field measurements out several wavelengths could most likely just rely
on the GPS coordinates.

All of that assumes reciprocity, of course, but even if that was in
question I'd bet that it would be relatively simple and inexpensive to
design/build a small receiver for the drone that forwarded signal
strength data to the ground via an RF or optical link.

One big advantage of using the drone, of course, would be that the
measurements could also be taken at the actual operating site, thereby
including the effects of nearby structures.

I haven't seen any reports of anyone doing this yet, but I assume that
people already have.

73,
Dave   AB7E