[TowerTalk] update -- 160M radials

Dave Sublette k4to.dave at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 07:47:26 EDT 2020

Good morning,
I finally  had a chance to finish cleaning and replacing the terminals on
the radials and to measure the results.  The results show no significant
change in radial current or current in the radiating element.  Five of the
eight radials still show zero or very little current.

So I have to decide what to do next, or if I wish to pursue the project
further. I don't want to redo the work that has been shown in the previous
articles that were sent to me. I will accept the findings until I can see
that there were any problems with the data as presented.  I have no reason
to doubt them.

If I choose to go on, the sequence looks to be as follows:  re-read the
articles. Model the 1/8th wave radials with series coil to determine what
the value of the coil should be for the 160 version. Measure apparent
impedance of each radial in place (maybe).  String up some number of short
radials and measure impedance. Attempt to install a coile and measure
currents.

I don't want to put all this on the general audience of tower talk.  If
there are any of you that want to join an ongoing discussion, send me an
email at  my call at arrl dot net and we can just make a short mailing list
for this project.  If and when I have any results that might be of interest
to the general population here, I will share. This discussion will probably
include a fair amount of modeling info.

Thanks for your interest.

73,

Dave, K4TO