[TowerTalk] Paint Fiberglass antennas?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 17 10:21:32 EDT 2020

The SteppIR poles are coated, and there is no recommendation for
additional painting, but some folks do that.

I was a bit concerned about the UV longevity of the heat shrink that
goes over the tapered sections joints and placed a layer of 3M silicone
self fusing tape over them on my 4L.  That is in great shape after 8
years, as is the FG coating.

The trombone elements IMO are effectively linear loading when the tape
extends back towards the EHU on the 30 & 40m capable antennas.  From
experience with my newer DB36 on 30 & 40, it is  sensitive to nearby

Grant KZ1W