[TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX-48 Rotator Plate Remove & Install

w6rgs w6rgs at cox.net
Thu Sep 17 12:17:03 EDT 2020

Can you use a sufficient length of rope tied to the plate and fished up internally as you climb? Once you're in position, tie the free end to a cross brace, in case you lose your grip on the rope.  Pull the plate up through the center of the tower to its mounting location. 73. Bill  W6RGS
-------- Original message --------From: Dave - W3NP <w3np at atlanticbb.net> Date: 9/17/20  08:32  (GMT-08:00) To: towertalk at contesting.com Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX-48 Rotator Plate Remove & Install I have just removed my KT-34A (too far gone to repair), 6' mast, Ham IV rotator and the section #3 rotator plate from my HDBX-48. I removed the rotator plate in order to check out the integrity of the 3 mounting tabs and to make make a place for the pigtail and connector of the new TailTwister rotator to pass through as well as drilling 2 more mounting holes for the new rotator.My question is this: I had a hard time getting the plate out of the tower (was hitting the cross braces) and had to use some hammer persuasion.  Was I missing something in the removal? I was expecting to just remove the 3 bolts and wiggle it out. Of course I am up on the tower while doing this and at 73 my endurance to stand on those cross braces is not what is used to be.  Is there a simpler way to get the plate back in place?  I will be installing a new modified plate and don't want to hammer on it.I am replacing the KLM KT-34A with a Optibeam 10-3.  3.5 sq ft more wind load and a 19' boom vs the 16 on the KLM as well as longer elements. I have a Rohn TB-3 bearing on the top plate and all rivets looked good....no sign of torque stress.  I live in a relatively protected area and seldom see any wind in excess of 45-50 mph and that is a rarity. The tower and beam have been up since 1997 and both were used then. The tower dates from the early 80's when purchased new by a friend.Any help on reinstalling the rotor plate without beating it up would be much appreciated.73, Dave - W3NP______________________________________________________________________________________________TowerTalk mailing listTowerTalk at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk