[TowerTalk] Real "50 ohm" cable ?

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sat Sep 26 09:53:39 EDT 2020

I recently purchased a nice VNA ( Array Solutions AIM4300 ...good news
/bad news ..contact me off list) . Like a kid with a new chemistry set
at Xmas I set about measuring everything in site with my new "toy". Much
to my naive surprise I found that much of the "50 ohm" coax I had (DX
engineering RG213 and RG8X), actually measured 51.8 ohms . Although I
did have a 75 ft piece of brand-X Hamfest special that measured 49.7 ohms!

Now I know that in practice there is not enough difference between 50
ohms and 52 ohms in actual use especially at 50MHz and below.
Occasionally though it matters ! Besides the truth in advertising thing
( 2x4 lumber has always galled me) Does anyone know who makes legal
limit 50 ohm coax  that is actually 50 ohms and not 52 ohms?

Dave
NR1DX
--
Dave Manuals at ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com