[TowerTalk] copper

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Apr 1 23:56:55 EDT 2021

500 feet of #14 weighs 6.2 lbs.  At $4/lb, the copper content
is worth about $25.00.  The other $28 is various other stuff.
There is a general shortage of building matls, like wood.
I suspect that a lot of the price increase is from that,
rather than the raw copper price.  I just paid $50 for OSB
that used to cost $7.  The price of timber doesn't explain that.
Rather, there are a finite number of plants that can make OSB,
and it is capital intensive to convert plants over to OSB.

The price of Beldsol magnet wire is now $80/lb,  The copper
content is only 5% of the price.

Rick N6RK