[TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 2 19:53:38 EDT 2021

On 4/2/2021 4:10 PM, CEPitts wrote:
> I would like to hear from those in regards to ideas for the following. I
> know there are those who have long runs of control cabling for rotation,
> switching, etc. so I seek your ideas and advice.

For cable size, study the manual for the rotator to learn what they
recommend for what length, then apply Ohm's law. For all of my control
cables, there's a splice at the base of the tower and just outside the
shack. Both are on barrier strips in standard weatherproof electrical
boxes. For my run of 350 ft, I used two runs of Romex 14-2 laying on the
ground from shack to the tower, then a specialty cable I found at a
surplus house to get up the tower. That Romex has been there 13 years.

Most rotators only draw significant current to run the motor, much less
to sense position. Mine, both Yaesu, use a pot. I used Romex for both
functions only for convenience.

If the box is mounted vertically, cables can enter through holes drilled
in the bottom, with standard electrical adjustable cable clamps. The box
outside the shack has that arrangement for cables going to the towers,
and PVC conduit through the wall.

73, Jim K9YC