[TowerTalk] Rotor Cabling Query

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Apr 2 19:53:53 EDT 2021

> A primary point/concern of my post is the length of the run on the
> temporary 300 ft and to the final goal of 700 ft. What size of the
> conductors/wire/cable to utilize for the effort. Some part being
> heavy duty 8 conductor rotor cabling in conjuction with splices
> and/or runs of UF solid wire cabling from 14 gauge to 10 gauge such
> as 14/3, etc. or other such ideas on conductor size.
You will need to figure out those trade-offs for yourself in your
particular installation.

The brake solenoid in the Ham IV/T2X is rated 24 VAC @ 5A.  The brake
uses wires 1 and 2 (the "heavy" wires).

The motor in the Ham IV/T2X is rated 20 VA @ 2.25 A.  The motor uses
wires 4, 5, 6, and 8 plus wire 1.  Rotation power is supplied to either
5 (rotate right) or 6 (rotate left).  4 and 8 are the capacitor
connection and the return in wire 1.

To energize the brake you have the voltage drop of (0.75 Ohm + the
resistance of wires 1 and 8) x 5 A.  To turn the motor you need to
overcome the voltage drop of (5.0 Ohms + wire 5 or 6 + wire 4 +
wire 8 plus wire 1) x 2.25 A.

I do not know how much voltage sag the brake or motor can handle before
they stop working reliably but I would not allow more than 2V drop as
a first estimate.

The typical "light duty" eight wire rotator cable is 2 x #18, 6 x #22.
DX Engineering says "suitable for most controller to rotator cable
runs of less than 125 feet."  You could probably back out the voltage
drops for a 100' run and use that as a "safe" limit.   The so called
"heavy duty" rotator cable is 2 x 16, 6 x 18 but is probably marginal
at 300 feet.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV