[TowerTalk] Guys, and anchors

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 15:23:29 EDT 2021

"You want very little sag? Better be prepared to have significant
lateral stress, and make sure your anchors and guying system is designed
for it."

I use 6' "thimble eyes", 5/8" thick, rated at something like 32,000#
pull, sunk four feet into the ground with a 12"x12"x1/2" thick
galvanized plate, and back-filled with rocks, gravel, and dirt.  I
picked them up from WedCo locally, but a large electrical distributor
should be able to supply them.

No big tower, just a 24' piece of 2" chainlink fence toprail holding up
a pair of inverted V's made of 1/4" stainless steel cable, which also
act as the top guys.  We do get a lot of wind, and horses, though.

I used fire standpipe brackets on the mast to connect the center guys
to, through rope eyes, bolts with locking nuts, and 7/16" Dacron rope
from HRO.

Pics upon request.

Kurt