[TowerTalk] feedpoint capacitors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 25 16:09:27 EDT 2021

On 4/25/2021 9:04 AM, John Keating wrote:
> Looking for advice on best type capacitors for legal limit L-C match at wire
> dipole feedpoint.

A resonant half-wave dipole presents a low-impedance load with
relatively low SWR to 50 or 75 ohm coax, and should not require anything
to match it to the feedline. Indeed, depending on its height and the
conductivity of the earth under it, Z at resonance will be between about
30 ohms and 90 ohms.

What IS often needed is some sort of matching in the shack for operation
on bands like 80M and 10M whose bandwidth is a relatively high fraction
of their wavelength. Tube power amps often have sufficient tuning range
in their adjustable output networks, but solid state output stages
require a tuner. As a contester, I need something much faster, and use
stubs that I switch between for CW, RTTY, or SSB.

73, Jim K9YC