[TowerTalk] Sufficient ground or counterpoise for VHF/UHF antenna?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 24 16:08:08 EST 2021

On 12/24/2021 10:39 AM, Kevin Zembower via TowerTalk wrote:
> Is this adequate for a ground plane or counterpoise?

Yes
I know it's not the
> mass of a vehicle. The SWR is pretty good, I think. It goes from about
> 1.45:1 to 1.3:1 over the VHF band, and 2.5:1 to 1.3:1 in UHF (with a
> consistent set of big fluctuations at 440 and 445MHz. What's that about?).

Either resonances in the sheet steel based on its dimensions, or
conductive surrounding objects. SWR is NOT a measure of antenna
performance, it only increases loss, and for the values you've measured,
not by much. If the feedline isn't very long, I wouldn't worry about it.
But I WOULD use coax bigger than RG58, which gets pretty lossy at VHF,
even more at UHF. RG8X is a good choice.

73, Jim K9YC