[TowerTalk] Sufficient ground or counterpoise for VHF/UHF antenna?

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 16:20:05 EST 2021

Kevin:

      Many thanks for the Christmas greetings and back atcha.

      The first thing I would do is try moving the antenna and ground
plane around to different locations in the attic.  The purpose of this
exercise would be to see if you can find a spot, away from other
metallic objects like HVAC ducts and wiring, that would improve your SWR
on both bands.  If you're really ambitious and want to enjoy the
predicted warmer weather, you might want to take the time to bring the
entire antenna, coax and radio setup outdoors and try the SWR exercise
on a table, etc. to see what you can do with nothing in the immediate
vicinity of your antenna system.  This will give you a "best case" for
reference and tell you what your chosen antenna can really do.

Regarding the fluctuations in SWR from 440 to 445 MHz, I can't say with
certainty what might be causing that.  But if you try the outdoor test,
you might see a different, smoother SWR response. That would tell me
that your antenna in its present position might be close to a metallic
object that is just the right (wrong?) distance from the antenna to
interact with it somehow.  If there is no difference, then it's a design
factor with the antenna itself.

      Let us know what your results are and how you like the new radio.

ARL SIXTY ONE es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F