[TowerTalk] 80m vertical ideas / questions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 31 15:32:44 EST 2021

On 12/31/2021 3:52 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> Why can't it be guyed to help stabilize it?   Even three ways at the
> top with dacron or kevlar to some deep earth screws is better than
> nothing, especially if you use cheap leg insulators.

Many ways to skin that cat. I have a 120 ft Rohn 25 guyed at 30, 60, 90,
and 120 ft with about 4 ft in a poured concrete base. I also have an
unguyed 35 ft Rohn 35 (the one private labeled for Motorola scaled up
from 25) also with about 5 ft in a LOT of concrete. When the second one
was installed, my climber advised me that it was stable enough without
guys, so we opted not to guy it. I live in an area (NorCal) where we
don't get more than about 75 mph winds.

73, Jim K9YC