[TowerTalk] Joining two perpendicular wires

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:30:51 EDT 2021

It's the tin in solder that weathers from moisture.  The water leaches
out the tin and leaves a soft, porous matrix that has very little
strength.  The white powder you often see is the lead oxidizing after
the tin has gone.  The less tin the better, but unfortunately that also
usually raises the melting temperature. Plumbing solder is a bit of a
compromise, but lasts much longer than standard lead-tin solder.

Solder of any kind should never be used for structural strength, which I
why I agreed with the folks who suggested using some other means (like a
rope) to handle the tension and then leave a loose tail for the
electrical connection (solder, split bolt, whatever).

73,
Dave   AB7E