[TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jul 27 07:56:30 EDT 2021

In the U.S., the standard guy anchor distance is 80% of the tower height but
I have heard in Europe 60% is more common.  Is that correct?

I have no answers to your questions but if you are using a rotating tower I
believe that a larger anchor distance makes it easier for the guy bearings
to turn.

John KK9A

Jari Jussila oh2bu wrote:

Hi ...

I'm sure these topics have been discussed earlier, but could not find
any thread ..... Sri ...

We are at our club erecting two towers. A rotating steel tower being 31
m high and a aluminium telescope mast 18+18 m = 32 meters.

B) The steel tower height is 31 m - it's a rotating tower - but the
upper bearing is at 23 m ( leaving 8 meters for the antennas) and the
lower bearing at 11 meters.

Whats the advise of anchor point distance? Some say, that the 60 %
(distance for  the tower) should be calculating from the total height
(31 x 0,6 = 18,6 meters).
Some say, it should be calculating from  the upper bearing (23 m x 0,6 =
12.8 m)

Whats your opinion?

Jari, OH2BU
For OH3AC Club Station