[TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 27 11:53:04 EDT 2021

The steeper the angle (smaller angle to tower) the more tension is
needed to provide the same horizontal restoring force at the connection
of the guy to the tower.  The needed horizontal force is determined by
the total wind load and strength of the tower.

The limiting but informative end points are:

Horizontal guys - 1lb of tension equals 1lb of horizontal force and no
downforce

Vertical guys - 1lb of tension equals no horizontal force and 1lb of
downforce

As the angle decreases the amount of tension needs to increase for the
same horizontal force.  At small angles it approaches infinite. Thus,
the force on rotating bearings increases with shorter guy baselines.

The amount of downforce is limited by the buckling and compressive
strength of the tower, a complex calculation for slender towers.  The
downforce is total static weight tower + everything else plus vertical
load from all guys all levels at the maximum wind load when upwind guy
tensions are the maximum.

So for shorter than catalog guy base lengths and loads, better have a PE
do the calcs.  (beyond my pay grade).

Grant KZ1W