[TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:00:52 EDT 2021

The first question seem like a rather simple vector analysis task to
me.  Generate a simple model for the manufacturer's recommendations for
included angles, distance from tower, and guy wire tension ... and then
calculate the lateral force on the tower due to each guy wire.  Do the
same analysis for the configuration under consideration (with the
addition of translating the resulting forces to the desired directions
of 120 degrees apart) and compare the resulting lateral forces.  Decide
how much deviation from the spec you're willing to live with (5%? ...
10% ... whatever) and see if it satisfies.  Keep in mind that any change
in guy wire tension to compensate for deviations from the tower
manufacturer's configuration needs to stay within the guy wire ratings.

Seems like a better approach to me than relying on the opinion of
anyone, although my opinion says that when you do the calculation you
would find that the difference between 1 degree deviation and 2 degrees
deviation is round off error.

73,
Dave   AB7E