[TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Jun 3 20:59:26 EDT 2021

On 6/3/21 5:32 PM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:
> After lots of BS and wrangling, it appears I will probably get a permit for my tower in Belize.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that although  I am far from any airport the authorities want this tower lighted up.  Although the tower is 135 feet they want a "high intensity" light at the top and another in the middle.  I know it's BS but I am up the stump on this.  I really am not too keen on hooking up my electric mains to a 130 ft tower in an area prone to lightning and I am certainly not too keen on having to lay out a fist full of bucks for the lights.  My contractor thinks we could put something up on top so they will be satisfied and thinks we would never see the guys again.
> Since all the authorities are far away (at least 80 miles) they certainly aren't going to be able to tell a high intensity from a regular red light.  To top it off, none of the towers in the area are lit.
> Any ideas?  Litigation is not a viable option as I am a gringo in Belize.
> Bill K4XS/V31XX
>
> ?

Running power isn't that much of a pain - you have a small isolation
transformer at the base and spark gap type protection to ground.

However, as to the actual lights...what about those LED "road flare"
replacements - They're really bright and cheap. and run off 12V

try https://www.superbrightleds.com/

I've bought a variety of LED beacon type lights from them (repurposed
emergency beacons and things like trailer clearance lights).

or

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/strobe-beacons/  - they only show
amber, but I bet if you call, you can get red (they don't want to be
visibly supporting "non official use of police light patterns"

Here's one:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-hideaway-strobe-lights/led-hideaway-strobe-lights-mini-emergency-vehicle-led-warning-lights/1905/#/attributes/13

They'll be expensive, but aircraft blinking red lights might be
something to look at.