[TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Jun 3 21:11:19 EDT 2021

On 6/3/21 5:59 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
> On 6/3/21 5:32 PM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:
>> After lots of BS and wrangling, it appears I will probably get a
>> permit for my tower in Belize.  That's the good news.  The bad news
>> is that although  I am far from any airport the authorities want this
>> tower lighted up.  Although the tower is 135 feet they want a "high
>> intensity" light at the top and another in the middle.  I know it's
>> BS but I am up the stump on this.  I really am not too keen on
>> hooking up my electric mains to a 130 ft tower in an area prone to
>> lightning and I am certainly not too keen on having to lay out a fist
>> full of bucks for the lights.  My contractor thinks we could put
>> something up on top so they will be satisfied and thinks we would
>> never see the guys again.
>> Since all the authorities are far away (at least 80 miles) they
>> certainly aren't going to be able to tell a high intensity from a
>> regular red light.  To top it off, none of the towers in the area are
>> lit.
>> Any ideas?  Litigation is not a viable option as I am a gringo in
>> Belize.
>> Bill K4XS/V31XX
>>
>> ?
>

> Running power isn't that much of a pain - you have a small isolation
> transformer at the base and spark gap type protection to ground.
>
> However, as to the actual lights...what about those LED "road flare"
> replacements - They're really bright and cheap. and run off 12V
>
> try https://www.superbrightleds.com/

It occurs to me that in (mostly) sunny Belize, you could probably run
one of these beacons off a solar panel and a 12V battery. They're
something like a watt or 3 (1/4 amp or so). So figure 12 hours a night
on time, that will take 3 amp hours - a standard lead acid brick is
7Ah.  10 W solar panels aren't very big or expensive.