[TowerTalk] 306 stainless steel

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jun 3 22:38:24 EDT 2021

DX Engineering uses 18-8 with their saddle clamps which I believe is 304
stainless steel. I never paid much attention to the stainless steel grades
that I used other than they were all 300 series and I have not had any
trouble with stainless steel corrosion in Aruba. Aluminum corrosion from
stainless steel hardware is a much more serious issue.

BTW, Aruba has been open to tourism for almost a year. I have been there
twice this year and things are almost normal.

John KK9A - P40A

Richard Smith n6kt wrote:

 I Googled:
"tensile strength of 304 and 316 stainless steel" and the result shows that
the two alloys have very close tensile strengths and yield strengths.

I bought a bunch 316 SS hardware, planning to use them at the PJ4K station
on Bonaire, but with the travel restrictions haven't been able to go and try
them yet. It may take some months or years to see a difference between 304
SS and 316 SS, but the Caribbean is a good test bed.
73, Rich, N6KT