[TowerTalk] 306 stainless steel

W7TMT - Patrick W7TMT at outlook.com
Fri Jun 4 16:15:04 EDT 2021

Follow Up

I received several questions off list regarding the cleaning process. Since they were all essentially the same I'll respond here. My apologies if this isn't of interest to all.

On simple surface rust stains the cleaner will often wipe it right off with only brief contact. On other more difficult areas especially weldments where parts come together at a weld joint a different technique is needed.

Mix the powdered cleaner with water to create a wet paste. Dab it on with a small brush into the problem area. Keep it wet. Do Not Let It Dry Out. Easiest way is to cover the area with a wet scrap of cloth or heavy duty paper towels that will follow the contour. Come back and check it at your convenience. If more contact/dwell time is desired dab at the paste to mix it up a bit more, add water if/as required and re-cover to keep it moist. Once you get to where you want to be it's important to rinse the area completely and use your brush to remove all the paste residue.

It is not a miracle cure but will go a long way in removing the rust and inhibiting its return in most situations.

73,
Patrick, W7TMT