[TowerTalk] 306 stainless steel

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 3 22:41:24 EDT 2021

316 is not easy machining.  The (better) marine industry now uses it in
316L grade which has lower carbon.  This prevents alloy redistribution
from the heat which causes welded joints to rapidly corrode.  316L is
also the most corrosion resistant 300 grade.  Ask McMaster for certs on
the u-bolts you are considering, since the detailed specs say 316 (which
is probably ok).

All stainless has crevice corrosion problems if there is no oxygen to
reform the oxide layer.  Probably not an issue in u-bolts, but has been
in sailboat keel attaching bolts.  Bronze alloys are better.

Hot dip galvanized u-bolts might have a 3 to 10 year marine environment
life. Probably good for the life of an antenna in no/low chloride
environments.  (why different than a tower?)  They look fine on my (low
chlorides air) antennas after 20 years.  see

https://galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/article/the-performance-of-hot-dip-galvanized-steel-in-water-environments

Grant KZ1W