[TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Jun 16 14:45:45 EDT 2021

On 6/16/21 11:01 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> All that data went into a spreadsheet, with data points at limits of
> 160, 80, and 40M bands, centered in 20 and 15, and at around 28.5 MHz,
> and for each winding (turns, winding material), worst case of Rs
> (lowest value) was used to develop the Cookbook. The result is that a
> ham using the Cookbook will have a choke that is equal to or BETTER
> than those minimum values.

Out of curiosity, what was the spread in apparent parameters?

good point that other materials will wind up with pickier designs less
tolerant of parameters.

The whole "sensitivity to variations" is something that I think modern
tools make easier to analyze - and should get more play in places like
the ARRL handbook and antenna book.  It's one thing for a dipole, which
is a "wide tolerance" device, but Yagis or physically small, high Q
systems some appreciation of sensitivity is important.   A design that
works great at one frequency, but dies 10 kHz away, or which has
performance that falls apart if the element is 5 degrees skewed, is
something you need to know about.