[TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Jun 16 15:15:51 EDT 2021

On 6/16/21 12:05 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 6/16/2021 11:45 AM, Lux, Jim wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, what was the spread in apparent parameters?
>
> I'd have to look at the spreadsheets -- it's been three years. But
> because resonances are involved, f the parameters I measured, Rs, Xs,
> and Zmag at a given frequency for a 10-turn winding, almost 2:1 for
> some data points. With respect to fundamental properties, I'd guess
> that Fair-Rite's 20% number is pretty good. But those fundamental
> properties from a circuit point of view are mu' (inductance) and mu''
> (loss).

There's also the dimensional tolerances on the actual cores, too. The
cross sectional area and path length.  Nowhere near a 20% effect but
still, it was surprisingly large when I was doing a notional design at
work.  Somewhere (perhaps from you) I heard that one of the
uncertainties is the shrinkage during the firing process, since they're
not "machined" out of a block of something.