[TowerTalk] ROPE (From Davis Rope Co., LLC)

Steve Davis | Davis RF sdavis at davisrf.com
Thu Mar 11 11:27:21 EST 2021

A couple points that might be helpful , with regard to points raised on this subject:

The use of "Dacron" rope, outside, is important vs. most other types of rope.  Double braided Dacron (aka polyester) is the best to use for ham applications, to include heavy hauling applications, due to the following.

Dacron Tm, is a trade name of Dupont.  Their rope is a polyester.  Polyester's qualities are:  resistant to mildew, rot, UV and abrasion, and handle at least up to   approx.  90% of its  mfr.  rated breaking strength, before stretch starts, then it will break.

Yes, you can use Kevlar  Tm or the import from Europe, and pay a lot more.  But why do that when you can use a 3/16" double braided polyester (aka Dacron), with a tensile strength of 1200 lbs.   Or a 3/8" rated  5,000 lb  or a 1/2"  ,  7300 lb test.   Or smaller  1/8  rated at 270 lbs.... all for very reasonable prices.  We do not carry  1/4"  as our 3/16" is stronger and less expensive.

1/4"  rope:  you have to ask yourself where is it made, and what is the tensile strength  ??

All of our rope is Made in USA, is high quality and we have dealt it for many years.  Much rope  on the market is made in China or Viet Nam.

The rope that is sold by ham dealers, but for the dealers who buy from us, is lower strength than ours, size per size.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Stay safe,  Steve Davis   K1PEK      DavisRopeAndCable.com    and       DavisRF.com  (these two companies are totally seperate locations and staff but you may call me for either one.  The term "cable" in Davis Rope and Cable, pertains to metallic cable.  Coax, control cable, ant. wire, etc. is handled by DAVIS RF)