[TowerTalk] THHN

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sat Mar 13 14:21:20 EST 2021

On 3/13/21 9:46 AM, Tom Osborne Sr. wrote:
> Problem with copperweld is rust.  When you scratch the copper away it makes
> a rusty mess.  I had terrible problems with copperweld twin lead rusting
> where it connected to the antenna.  73
> Tom W7WHY

Given the thousands upon thousands of miles of copper clad steel
installed, there must be a standardized way to deal with the scratch off
the copper problem. Probably some variant of the Western Union splice.

For what it's worth, on the *thinnest* copper clad (21% IACS), on AWG
12, the cladding is 2.4 mils. That's fairly thick compared to the 81 mil
overall diameter.

https://www.copperweld.com/application/files/4915/3833/2604/Welded_Copper-covered_Steel_CCS_21.pdf

I wonder if "copperweld" twin lead is more like the very thin silver
flash on hookup wire to make it solderable? Or that inexpensive fairly
small gauge copper coated speaker wire?f