[TowerTalk] Metal Thermal Rate of Expansion

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 4 15:58:26 EDT 2021

Expansion in an isotropic media such as most metals is the same in all
directions.  Think of enlarging something for printing by a fraction of
a percent.

Everything gets larger by the coefficient of expansion/deg C.  Thus,
holes get larger, OD's get larger, and circumference the same as
Diameter * pi.  A shrink fit only needs to consider the radial
interference that is desired.

The 0.00034" change in the radial gap I calculated for 100 deg C
temperature change is meaningless if the two parts were slipped together
by hand.  It doesn't matter in this case whether the inside part has a
higher coefficient of expansion or not, since the gap machined as was
described was certainly several thousandth of an inch.

Extruded tubing is not round and welded pipe/tubing is even more out of
round, which is probably why the machining was needed.

Grant KZ1W