[TowerTalk] Grounding -- yet again

Dave Sublette k4to.dave at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:55:43 EDT 2021

 I am in the process of upgrading my grounding systems.  I have the new
book on order from ARRL and a couple of retired power company engineers to
advise.  I won't go into details, but I have a question about one item on
the agenda.

I have a full quarter wave vertical made from Rohn 45.  It has the
broadcast tower insulator section 27 feet above ground and I use 1/8th wave
radials with an inductor for tuning to resonance.  It works.  I'm trying to
decide how to protect against lightning.  So far, I have two thoughts:  1)
wind an RF choke to be connected across one of the insulators.  It would
have to be replaced after every hit, I suspect.  2) build a spark gap on
each insulator.  The tips would have to be replaced after every stroke.
Should it have sharp tips or a ball?

What are your thoughts on the problem?  All advice cheerfully received.

Thanks and 73,

Dve, K4TO