[TowerTalk] Nut & Bolt Sealant

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 7 23:36:39 EDT 2021

I used a locktite product that I thought was total BS.

I was installing a brass bodied sensor into a cast aluminum engine head.

I was TOLD there would be a chemical reaction between the brass,
aluminum, and locktite.  I expected something like epoxy when cured.

I coated the threads, torqued the sensor, and waited for it to cure.  I
checked the next morning, the locktite was as wet as ever, and I wiped
it off with a paper towel.  I then placed a small heat lamp above the
engine, thinking heat would help.

I checked again about ten to twelve hours later, thicker, but still goopy.

Thinking this was a total scam, and I was screwed, I tried to remove the
sensor so I could use something else.  Sure enough, the locktite had
cured, and was rock-hard, like cured epoxy, in the threads, where the
brass, and aluminum came together.

I cleaned everything up, and re-installed, this time waiting the
required time, and used solvent to remove the excess goopy locktite.

I never had an issue with the sensor leaking, even when that particular
engine over-heated later.

Kurt