[TowerTalk] Unique Shunt Feed

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:20:34 EDT 2021

I don't see the link, but I assume this is it:

http://www.vias.org/radioanteng/radio_antenna_engineering_02_03_04.html

Another way of thinking of a shunt fed tower is that it is a folded
monopole (half of a folded dipole) using conductors of different
diameter, except with a single conductor extension (i.e., a "stinger")
on top.

Anyway you want to look at it, the physics of operation of a shunt fed
tower is simply based upon transmission line concepts.  For example, a
shorted transmission line less than 1/4 wavelength long is inductive,
which is why a series capacitor is almost always used at the base.

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s.   I've never tried it, but it seems we should be able to make a
folded dipole out of coax (shorted at both ends) by feeding the center
wire in the middle of the coax while maintaining continuity of the
shield.   I suspect somebody has already done that ... with the shield
doing the radiating.  I'm curious what the feedpoint impedance is.