[TowerTalk] Experience with K0XG guy ring bearings?

CEPitts cpitts at ec.rr.com
Tue Aug 9 08:29:45 EDT 2022

Hi Jim and others who may need the following info. I speak with
experience. I have some rings for 55G and a tower project that has been
in the works with setbacks due to hurricanes and other storms, Extensive
tree damage and clearing of downed  trees. Pandemic issues as well as
what most of us would call general  everyday living sometimes taking a
priority with family and work.

Rings were installed on tower in sections laying on ground waiting for
crane install and the delays began. Rings exposed to elements. The
rotation began to suffer with some of the cam followers freezing up.

I believe it was Grant KZ1W who may have addressed replacing cam
followers in a previous post. If I am mistaken I apologize to the
original person who may have addressed issues regarding the cam followers.

Upon removing the followers that were giving me some issues I purchased
from MRO Supply the following two cam followers that are on my rings
McGill CF 1 1/2 SB MRO#2249463 and McGill CFH 1 3/ 8 SB MRO# 2251461.

The "CF" and "CFH" nomenclature was stamped onto the followers if I
remember correctly and I verified these were the ones needed with
Richard K0XG and that was approximately 3-4 years ago. Been difficult as
of late catching up with K0XG.

Followers can be difficult to remove however I was successful on most
except two. Those two I will most likely take to my local mechanic down
the road who can cut them out of the ring or my local machine shop who
can do the removal.

I also purchased the grease fittings that can go into the new followers.
I was fortunate to have gone up to Steve NR4M QTH for a contest a while
back and he let me use a press in his extensive shop to press the
fittings into the followers.

So they are ready to go for a install into the rings time permitting and
as the project proceeds.

MRO Supply was my source but there are others on the web. Very happy
with them.

My experience is exposure to weather over time is not your friend unless
frequently rotated and most likely needing some sort of maintenance,
greasing, etc. My salt air is of course the worst.environment.

These links may be helpful:

https://www.mrosupply.com/

https://www.regalrexnord.com/-/media/Files/Literature/Events/AAAE-2019/McGill-Cam-Follower-Bearings-Brochure-Form-8991E.pdf?la=en&hash=35A797B060828CF407C36A2822353ABE67D81D45

https://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/mcgill.pdf