[TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 9 10:02:20 EDT 2022

There are two forces - the preload which is often specified at 10% of
guy break strength and the maximum force from wind, which might be as
much as 80% of the specified guy break strength.  (rough estimates).
The former causes a slow tilt and the latter might be catastrophic.

I beam (now mostly WF or Wide Flange) and schedule 80 pipe have been
suggested, both of which might be harder to find than other structural
steel sections in less than 20ft lengths.  If you need 3 posts then 20ft
might make sense and have them cut at a steel service center which
should have whatever section you might want. Square tube is another
which I have found more available at retail steel distributors, say
4x4x3/8. All reasonable choices are pretty heavy in 8ft lengths.

Engineers edge provides the tools for calculating the deflection and
stress for a simple cantilever once you find the steel section
properties in various tables.

However, this is really PE territory re strength and needed foundation.
  A back guy is also a very good idea to prevent slow tilt.  ie 600# x
45deg pretension (.7) x 6ft = ~2500ft-lbs of torque at ground level
slowly working to tilt the concrete base.

Grant KZ1W