[TowerTalk] Lightning protection (?) for Ameritron RCS-10 antenna switch

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:22:57 EDT 2022

I just bought a new Ameritron RCS-10 to replace my old switch, which was
damaged by lightning.  In reading the instructions, I was struck by the
suggestion of making  2 6" diameter turns in each coax line coming into
the relay box at the tower, no more than 3 feet from the switch itself,
what they call "lightning retarding loops."

I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere else, and wonder if there's
anything to it. It doesn't seem as if there would be enough inductance
in such loops to offer any degree of protection.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.