[TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 2 12:07:54 EST 2022

You could measure the current in each radial with a clamp on RF ammeter.
  Especially useful if the original currents were measured.  This might
separate damaged from ok radials although for my 8 radial elevated
system new, there was a 3:1 variance in currents due to what each radial
was near/over.  My sum of radial currents did equal the vertical element
current which showed the feedline was well enough choked.

I used an MFJ-843 meter which works even with a poor clamp on the
ferrite core sensing element.  It is not well calibrated so bench cal
with a dummy load and transmitter at various power levels on the
frequency of use is important if accurate current values are needed.

There are also lots of DIY designs, but the MFJ has an amplifier for the
low amperage you might find with large numbers of radials at a TX power
level you are comfortable with.

Grant KZ1W