[TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Dec 2 16:41:42 EST 2022

> > An amateur could get away with wo or three points ... If I were that
> > concerned, I'd pick four points: 1 mile/1 km N, E, S & W of the
> > antenna.
>
> In addition, one could start with a reference - say 4 radials take a
> set of measurements, add four more and take a set of measurements,
> add eight more and take a set of measurements, etc. until one sees
> the point of diminishing returns (increased field strength) from
> adding the radials.
>
> Not only would that answer "how many are enough?" in one's specific
> location, it would provide a baseline for "how much deterioration"
> over time.

One might look for a "reverse beacon" or online SDR station.  You do
have an issue with changing gain at the station, but most of those folks
are pretty good about publishing the configuration and whether it
changes.  You could also do a A/B comparison against another antenna you
have at your site that is less subject to soil properties.