[TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Dec 2 16:38:05 EST 2022

 > An amateur could get away with wo or three points ... If I were that
 > concerned, I'd pick four points: 1 mile/1 km N, E, S & W of the
 > antenna.

In addition, one could start with a reference - say 4 radials take a
set of measurements, add four more and take a set of measurements,
add eight more and take a set of measurements, etc. until one sees
the point of diminishing returns (increased field strength) from
adding the radials.

Not only would that answer "how many are enough?" in one's specific
location, it would provide a baseline for "how much deterioration"
over time.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-12-02 11:37 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> On 2022-12-02 11:01 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
>
>  > how can you measure that a radial system is still good over the years?
>
> Do like the (LF/MF) broadcasters (or at least what they used to do) ...
> measure field strength at several few points when the antenna/radial
> system is new, then measure at the same points every year or two.
>
> An amateur could get away with wo or three points ... If I were that
> concerned, I'd pick four points: 1 mile/1 km N, E, S & W of the
> antenna.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2022-12-02 11:01 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
>> OK thanks Paul
>>
>> how can you measure that a radial system is still good over the years?
>>
>> Maybe the cable is degraded, or is cutted in some points if animals are
>> around.
>>
>> Is any easy way to determine that the radial system on a vertical antenna
>> is still good?
>>
>> thanks!
>> Jorge
>> CX6VM/CW5W
>>
>> El vie, 2 dic 2022 a las 12:06, Paul Christensen (<w9ac at arrl.net>)
>> escribió:
>>
>>> Jorge,
>>>
>>> N6LF's material is based largely on measured results in support of
>>> theory.
>>>
>>> Paul, W9AC

>>> Jorge