[TowerTalk] High power 2:1 transformer was Re: 16om vertical and the number of radials

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 3 12:57:14 EST 2022

The capacitors are on the 25 ohm side so the transmission line
transformer sees a low swr.  Hence, the caps need to handle 2x the
current.  The details are in my QEX article "Broad-banding a 160m
Vertical Antenna"  QEX May/June 2019.  (errata - pin #'s on the
connecting cable are incorrect).

No problems with the match since putting it up, now at 101 confirmed on
160m :) all on this antenna.

The 8 elevated aluminum electric fence wire radials are all still
original. The top support (center of the T) was broken off by a falling
branch which was replace 10/2022.  However, I'm sure there is a lot of
loss (4+ db?) from being in a forest.  That's the price of free antenna
supports (110ft fir/cedar trees).

I currently have 10-12" of snow (YUK a record) on the ground and heavy
snow on the radials (and droop).  That has changed the resonance up
about 50KHz.  So another nice capability of the tuner.

Grant KZ1W