[TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Dec 4 13:25:53 EST 2022

On 12/4/22 6:05 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place or not, but thought I'd ask
> because this is at least a feedline question.
>
> I have a number of SMA connectors in areas of my station like my RBN
> SDR and my N1MM Spectrum Display.  It seems like every few weeks I
> start running into problems, and have to go through and retighten them
> to get rid of intermittent signal losses.  Is there anything that can
> be done to secure them better?

If torqued to 5-8 in-lb they shouldn't be loosening.  That's definitely
more than finger tight, and pretty "snug" with a small open end wrench.
The usual "ignition wrench" is about 4" long, so 1-1.5 lbs force on it.
If you've got a small scale (e.g. kitchen) you can feel what 1 pound of
push is like, and go from there. Or, if you can buy or borrow a real SMA
torque wrench, you'll get the feel.

They're about $150 for the real thing that comes calibrated from the
factory.  About $50 from some random 6 letter company on Amazon.  There
is a spring assembly inside them that needs to be periodically
calibrated ( I don't know how fast these things go "out of cal" - it's a
spring, it's way less than the spring's ultimate yield, so it should
last forever)

I suppose one could "stake" it with some removable polymer (nail polish,
model airplane glue, glyptal) after tightening. A tiny dab on the edge
will keep it from loosening and is still breakable with a wrench to
remove it.