[TowerTalk] Proper torque settings for G-2800 rotator mast clamp bolts?

Alan Higbie alan.higbie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:50:40 EST 2022

As the result of an extremely high wind event, I will soon be going up the tower to loosen the G-2800 mast clamps, realign the mast and then re-tighten the M8 x 70 bolts.

The Yaesu G-2800 manual says:

“Caution: Do not over-tighten the nuts on the mast clamps.
They should be tightened until the spring washer becomes flat, then tightened further by 1/2 to one turn maximum.”

I am still using the original hardware supplied with the G-2800.

These spring washers have been in service for 5 years - so their springy-ness may not be the best indicator for torque.

I believe that torque settings depend upon the grade of hardware being used: e.g. 8.8, 9.8, 10.9 or 12.9 - but I don’t know the grade of the stock hardware.

What its the proper torque setting for these M8 x 70 bolts?

73,

~ Alan Higbie K0AV