[TowerTalk] Proper torque settings for G-2800 rotator mast clamp bolts?

k9mk at flash.net k9mk at flash.net
Sat Dec 24 15:13:45 EST 2022

Alan,

    I had an original G2800 with a 4-bolt mast cup at my former QTH.  It held a Mosley Pro-67C3 on it.
    Not a long boom antenna but a sprawling antenna that was heavy.  And it really flexed around in the winds.
    After a couple seasons a real strong winter wind event spun it.
    Retightening worked for a couple months, and it slipped again in a spring storm.
    It was apparent the spline feature in the cups were wearing smooth.
    We decided to pin it to the mast, which worked perfectly for another 15+ years.

    At my new QTH, I have a couple mid-sized JK antenna.  This time a G-2800 with the 6-bolt mast cup.
    Yes, after a couple years it slipped too.  I pinned it last fall.
    In the past 48 hours we had high sustained winds for hours on end from this crazy winter storm.
    No slippage.  This solution worked well for me.  YMMV.

Mike K9MK