[TowerTalk] Hazards of low soil conductivity

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 9 23:22:33 EST 2022

On 1/9/2022 4:48 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
> That's a different situation, of course, but certainly very true.  I bet
> lots of people have multiple grounds connected to their homes, and most
> don't realize they do or the potential effect of it.  I've seen internet
> providers stake their own ground because the egress for their equipment
> was too distant from the utility service entrance.  Then you get TVs and
> computers connected to different ground potentials in the case of nearby
> lightning hits.

Electrical Codes adopted throughout North America carry the force of
law. Virtually all include a requirement that all earth connections in a
premises be bonded together, with certain exceptions for separate
buildings. Lots on my website about that.

Over several years after moving in, I found some real horror stories in
how this was not done in the home I bought when I moved here in 2005.
Not even the craziest thing was that the required earth connection for
the electrical service was to a nearby outlet for a garden hose, which
was fed by PVC pipe.

73, Jim K9YC