[TowerTalk] Rope for free hand lifting

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:30:41 EDT 2022

I have an early version of on of these:
https://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/Antenna_Standoff_Arm.html

I placed it at the tower top on the leg just below the bearing plate. I
used a small diameter pulley and use 1/4" braid and use it for a halyard
for wire antennas and an American flag for patriotic events. I leave the
halyard in place tied to a shackle to connect the ends, so it creates a
halyard loop that won't get caught in the pulley.

You could easily use a larger pulley. I use a small diameter Harken marine
quality pulley because I used this at my saltwater waterfront home for
years and wanted reliability.

The current version is galvanized, which is a huge improvement over the
powder coated version. I bought one of the first Chris sold and it has
rusted at the welds. But the cost is relatively low.

If you're thinking about this, I urge you to give Chris a call. He worked
with me to make sure this work fit around my rotor and not interfere with
the nesting of my crank-up tower.

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
*“The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling
that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one
to aspire to lead." Robert K. Greenleaf*