[TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jul 22 19:53:29 EDT 2022

On 7/22/2022 3:06 PM, k7nj at awinets.com wrote:
> This is primarily with PL-259, N-Type, and hard-line  connectors
> and associated adapters.

I can't report on anything approaching that time frame, but the obvious
question is, what brand of connectors? When I got back on the air in
2003 after a LONG time off I stocked up on lots of tees, elbows,
barrels, and inter-series adapters, nearly all of them unbranded. Over
the next 5-6 years they gave me no end of trouble, all poorly
manufactured in a variety of ways.

I learned the hard way, dumped them all, and stocked up on branded
stuff, mostly Amphenol or those made for the hard line I am using, but
also used surplus MIL parts at hamfests. I've had no issues at all with
any of them. The PL-259s are all type 83-1SP.

73, Jim K9YC