[TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed May 18 13:49:23 EDT 2022

I think in difficult SSB conditions, high noise, fading, QRM, many
repeats and Q's at the margin, 1db can make a difference.  Our brains do
the rest.  My friends that swear by diversity reception for CW on
dxpeditions also are copying signals with a few db differences.  Our
brain's being inside the decode "system" makes quantitative analysis
pretty difficult.

I also look at this topic from a cost/benefit perspective.  $3000
differential amplifier cost from 700w to a real 1500w.  That's 3db or
$1000/db.  $1000 buys a lot of low loss coax.  It's easy to build a
spread sheet of all loss from amp output to antenna feedpoint.  My goal
was 1db or less and it was achieved band by band deciding if LDF5, LDF4,
or Buryflex would achieve the goal. Other contesters also set their goal
at <1db loss.

As was also noted $25k for a tower and yagi to gain 6db over a dipole
and $200 for coax to subtract 2db isn't good engineering.

Contesters that stack 2 to 4 yagis think that a couple of db's are worth
$$$$.

"pretty soon a fraction of a db here and there adds to 3db"

Grant KZ1W