[TowerTalk] Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 18 15:16:21 EDT 2022

On 5/18/2022 11:45 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> There are wifi extenders on the market that certainly could reach that
> far, and it wouldn't take many copper runs for RF, rotators and other
> control circuits to far exceed the cost.

Any A/D and D/A adds latency -- no problem for control functions, but
not great for audio, CW, and RF. But RF can use relatively lossy coax.

Also, the original post in this thread said "towers" (plural). You're
probably familiar with W3LPL, and there are a fair number of stations
like that with towers spread out over a lot of real estate. Others I'm
familiar with are W6YX, N6RO, W7RN, and K3LR.

Every station can benefit from a SYSTEMS approach to its design. And I
suspect that designers of these stations might take somewhat different
approaches if starting from scratch today than they did 20-30 years ago,
as you and Grant have suggested.

73, Jim K9YC