[TowerTalk] Anchoring

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 19:46:17 EST 2022

On 11/16/2022 15:12, Ken WA8JXM wrote:
> John is correct that "pipe" is poor for structural use.  The proper term
> for what you need is "tube" which is structural and available in a wide
> range of diameter and wall thickness.  It is also available in round,
> square or rectangular form.

Adding to the confusion...

Pipe is a thing, tube is another, and "structural" is something else,
specific, that looks like a pipe, or a tube.  I've bought 20 pieces of
"structural" this year (not called tube, or pipe in the industry, just
structural, then describe what you really want, but the "structural"
specification), and it is quit different from pipe, or tube, and those
would get me a similar looking, but entirely different product of
drastically different specs and price.

Be certain of what you need, and ask for, and if possible, compare
everything before committing.

I use what what the utilities use, a thimble eye.  I use 6'x3/4" with a
12x12" plate on the bottom sunk four feet down, the hole back-filled
with rock, gravel, and slurry, tamping as I fill.  I think they are
rated for 32,000# pull each.  Here is an example:

https://www.comstarsupply.com/5-8x10-thimbleyebolt-j8051.html

They come in different diameters, and lengths, I think 10' is the longest.

It gets to the point, and does a job.  They come in single, double,
triple eyes, et cetera.  One can buy them online, and many electrical
parts houses carry them.

That being said...

I have a project coming up, where something else would be more
practical.  In that case, the guy mount will be a 12" concrete piling,
sunk about 36" down, and a metal T secured to the top, the web pointing
upward, with 6 j-bolts, then two holes through the web, one for each guy
(per direction) on a roughly 16' mast.

Kurt