[TowerTalk] SS cable for crank-up?

Don Tucker w7wll at peak.org
Sun Oct 16 14:58:58 EDT 2022

My HG-70HD was purchased in 1982, coming with the standard galvanized
cables. When we moved to the coast in 2003, I reinstalled it. In
approximately 2014, the cables (now some 30+ years old) were showing
increased signs of external rust, no nicks or frays. Had been using
Prelube 6 or equivalent yearly during the entire ownership time.

Felt the need for a professional rigger to review the cables, so I had
the head rigger from the rigging shop in and serving the local Newport
fishing and crabbing fleet come down and look at them. Based on the time
the cables had been in service, the fact they were infrequently
exercised and the tower only a few hundred feet from the ocean
(prevailing salty fog and winds from it to our location) he suggested
replacing the cables with SS, a not uncommon use for certain winch and
hoist uses among the large fishing and crabbing fleet in Newport. After
review of a PE document I had responding to the LA city building code
calculations for wind load, dead load, cable stress and other items for
Telex on the HG-70HD, he saw no reason to be concerned with the use of
SS, the cable requirements well within safety specs.

The rigging shop made the cables at what I considered a very reasonable
cost over that of a set of galvanized cables. As with others I would
suggest, if you do decide to use SS, to use the advice and construction
experience of a local rigging shop.

Oh, by the way I also have a Tri-Ex W tower, but the earlier W-51
(without the ears). Also SS cable equipped.

You will have to make a decision based on what you feel comfortable
with. SS vs galvanized is like a discussion on politics to a great
extent I've found for the towers and the uses covered on this forum.

I do believe that most of the competent, experienced tower installers
have supported the use of either.

Don W7WLL